Zhaga Interface Specifications
Zhaga's role is to develop and publish interface specifications that define the interfaces - mechanical, thermal, photometric, electrical and control - between LED light engines and LED luminaires.
The individual specification documents, known as Books, cover different types of LED light engines (LLEs) that are suitable for a range of applications.
- Book 1 -- Overview and common information relating to the other Books (*).
- Book 2 -- Socketable drum-shaped LLE with integrated ECG, maximum 70 mm diameter, mainly used in downlight applications (*).
- Book 3 -- Circular LED modules with separate ECG, mainly used in spot lighting (*).
- Book 4 -- Rectangular LED modules with separate ECG, for high-intensity outdoor and industrial applications
- Book 5 -- Socketable, circular LED module with separate ECG
- Book 6 -- Compact, socketable, circular LLE with integrated ECG
- Book 7 -- Rectangular LED modules with separate ECG, for indoor lighting applications (*).
- Book 8 -- Socketable drum-shaped LLE with integrated ECG, maximum 95 mm diameter, mainly used in downlight applications (*).
* Full specification is available for public download
Overview of Zhaga specifications
Overview of Books approved by the Zhaga Consortium
Certification and testing
Zhaga-certified products can be identified by the Zhaga logo. Only certified products, which are listed in the online Certified Products database, are allowed to carry the Zhaga logo.
Read more about Zhaga's testing and certification process
Specification development process
The Zhaga consortium has defined a process for developing interface specifications with the aim of building consensus quickly and developing the specifications efficiently.
Learn more about Zhaga's process for developing new Books
Publication of Zhaga Books
Each Book starts its life as confidential document, available only to members of the Zhaga Consortium. However, Zhaga will publish each Book once certification is available for this specification, and once the first certified products are available on the market.
An LED light engine is a combination of an LED module and the associated control gear.
Zhaga treats LED light engines as a black box, with defined interfaces that do not depend on the type of LED technology used inside the light engine.
Read more about light engines
Zhaga specifies the interfaces between an LED luminaire and an LED light engine. A good interface specification should not unnecessarily restrict the design of the light engine, or the design of the luminaire. It should allow innovation inside the light engine while keeping the interaction with the luminaire stable.
Read more about interface specifications