Zhaga welcomes China’s LED and lighting industry to open meeting
Posted on Thursday July 11 2013, by Tim Whitaker
The Zhaga Consortium, an international organization that is developing voluntary specifications for interchangeable LED light sources, recently held an open meeting in China to discuss key issues concerning the Chinese lighting industry.
The event was a special session of the regular Zhaga meeting for members. Such meetings are held every 2-3 months, and the June 2013 meeting was the first to be held in China.
The special open session was intended to build cooperation and understanding with China’s lighting industry. Invited guests included officials from various government departments and laboratories in China, as well as industry groups, R&D centers, universities, and organizations involved with test, measurement and standardization. A full list of participating organizations can be found below.
Lighting companies from throughout China also attended the session, joining Zhaga members from China and overseas. The meeting was held in Jiuzhaigou, Sichuan province.
“Zhaga was delighted to be able to hold its first meeting in China, and is honoured that many distinguished guests were able to attend,” said Menno Treffers, secretary-general of the Zhaga Consortium.
“China’s investments in the LED industry have made China the leader in lighting applications,” added Treffers. “Inputs from China are extremely important to Zhaga’s success. Feedback from the meeting and guidance from the attendees will influence the future direction of the Zhaga Consortium.”
During the special session, Zhaga representatives explained the organization’s goals and gave examples of successful applications. Visitors discussed the Zhaga interface specifications during a forum session, and were also given a demonstration of Zhaga-based modules and luminaires.
Zhaga in China
Around 50 companies from China are already members of Zhaga, and are making a growing contribution to the success of the organization. The current Zhaga membership list can be viewed here.
The Jiuzhaigou meeting was hosted by Guangzhou LEDWAY Lighting Technology Co., Ltd, a China-based luminaire manufacturer and regular member of Zhaga. As well as making a presentation giving many examples of successful application of Zhaga modules in its LED-based luminaires, LEDWAY made a proposal for a new type of LED spotlight module, which could eventually result in a new Zhaga interface specification (known as a “Book”).
The Zhaga Consortium gets its name from a waterfall in Sichuan province. Delegates to the Jiuzhaigou meeting were able to visit the Zhaga waterfall after the meeting had finished.
Zhaga’s guests at the open session
Officials from the following organizations attended the special session of the 22nd Zhaga members’ meeting in Jiuzhaigou, Sichuan province, on June 5, 2013 (in alphabetical order):
- CESI Electronics Standardization Institute
- China Association of Lighting Industry
- China Illuminating Engineering Society
- China LED industry and application alliance
- China National Institute of Standards
- China Solid-state Lighting Association
- Fudan University
- Guangdong Institute of Standardization
- Guangdong LED Lighting Industry Innovation Center
- Guangdong Province Quality Supervision and Inspection Institute
- Guangdong Provincial Department of Science and Technology
- Institute of Building Environment & Energy Conservation, China Academy of Building Research
- Jiangmen Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau
- National Technical Committee 224 on Lighting of Standardization Administration of China
- NLTC (Beijing)
- State Key Laboratory of Semiconductor Optoelectronic Products Detection of Jiangmen
- Sun Yat-sen University
- Xiamen Optoelectronics Industry Association
Photos from the Zhaga meeting