Zhaga Consortium celebrates a successful 2012
Posted on Monday December 17 2012, by Tim Whitaker
The Zhaga Consortium is celebrating a successful year in 2012, during which considerable progress has been made towards the goal of creating specifications that enable the interchange of LED light engines made by different manufacturers.
Major highlights included the market availability of the first Zhaga-certified products, and the participation of Zhaga at several major tradeshows throughout the world. Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Zhaga’s technical work groups are continuing to update the existing specifications and to build consensus for new ones.
Listed below are a selction of Zhaga’s 2012 highlights:
- The first Zhaga-certified products were available on the market in time for Light+Building in April 2012. Products carrying the Zhaga logo have been tested by third-party laboratories according to Zhaga specifications. More information on certification and testing can be found here: www.zhagastandard.org/specifications/certification.html.
Zhaga now has more than 280 members from across the globe, demonstrating the broad support for Zhaga’s activities throughout the lighting industry. More information can be found at: www.zhagastandard.org/news/27/zhaga-continues-to-add-new-members.
- A total of seven Zhaga interface specifications (Books 2 through 8) have now been approved and are in use by Zhaga members. Several of the specifications were updated during 2012. Companies are using these specifications to design Zhaga-compliant LED modules, LED light engines, holders, electronic control gear and LED luminaires. Details of the specifications can be found here: www.zhagastandard.org/specifications.
Full testing and certification capabilities are now available for two of Zhaga’s interface specifications – Book 2 and Book 3.
- Three individual third-party test labs are authorized to test products according to both Book 2 and Book 3. These are: Dekra (Arnhem, The Netherlands); UL (Allentown, PA, USA); and VDE (Offenbach, Germany).
A total of 51 products have now been certified by Zhaga, according to either Book 2 or Book 3.
- Zhaga had a major presence at Light+Building (Frankfurt, Germany) in April 2012, where more than 30 companies presented Zhaga-compliant LED products for the first time. Zhaga also took part in Lightfair International (Las Vegas, NV, USA) in May 2012, and China’s Guangzhou International Lighting Exhibition (GILE) in June 2012.
In fall 2012, Zhaga published the full specification for Book 3, along with a series of technical articles giving more details about the specifications. Download the Book 3 specification here.
- Book 1 was also published: this book includes common definitions and generic information applying to all the different interface specifications. Download Book 1 here.
In January 2013, Zhaga will hold its 21st general meeting for members, and also plans to publish the specifications for Book 2.
All companies in the lighting industry are welcome to join Zhaga and take part in the ongoing development of interface specifications. Membership information can be found at www.zhagastandard.org/about-us/join.
For more information on Zhaga, contact Tim Whitaker, Marcom Director, on firstname.lastname@example.org or +44 (0)7825 216329.